Written by Mr. Khat Bora
On August 13, 2010, at Anlong Romiet commune hall, Mr. Khat Bora participated in council monthly meeting of Kandal Stueng Farmer Association. This meeting was facilitated by Mr. Soeung Khann, Chief of council, with 13 participants 3 of them were women who come from 13 communes. The meeting was to strengthen district farmer network; to discuss collective saving among council members and strategy of forming saving group at commune level. The main results of this meeting were shown as below:
- 11 participants, 2 women, started saving money with start-up deposit from 10,000 riel per person. And they proposed to take interest rate 3% per month.
- All council members committed to persuade other villagers to form the saving group with supporting from other council members.
- Next meeting will be organized on September 13th 2010 at Anlong Romiet commune hall.
In the afternoon of August 15, 2010, I (Mr. Khat Bora) left Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. I arrived at Siem Reap at 8:45PM then stayed at Victory Guest House.
From 16-19 August, 2010, I provided a two-day training, in O Kralahn and Sronal communes of Kralahn district in Siem Reap province, on Fish Raising in plastic film with participation of 42 villagers 15 of them are women. The objectives of the training are:
- To build capacity of villagers on Fish Raising in plastic film;
- To create new job for them as fish raiser;
- To stop or reduce buying fish from market; and
- To stop illegally fish catching from natural lakes and ponds.
The topics of these trainings as following:
- Analyzing on annual expense for fish consumption;
- Benefit of fish;
- Place for digging pond;
- Water quality;
- Digging pond;
- Small fishes transportation;
- Feed producing and feeding;
- Pond Management;
- Disease Management and treatment; and
- Yield gathering.
The methods of this training were mostly used on lecturing and practicing. According to impression of participant in end of training, most of participants were very interested in digging pond, transportation of fingerling, feed producing and feeding, and disease management and treatment. Actually 14 people of all will apply this technique soon.